James Bond always ended his showers by turning the temperature down to freezing cold. It may not sound super enticing at first, but cold showers have several health benefits. Next time you’re showering try even turning the water to freezing cold for the last few seconds of your shower. I know, you’re probably shivering just thinking about it (especially those of you on the East Coast right now), but cold showers actually have several health benefits. Personally, I find the cold water to be extremely refreshing, even if it’s cold outside. Don’t believe me? Try it for yourselves! Here are some reasons why you should try this:
1. Wake yourself up- Cold showers increase alertness. When that cold water hits us, we begin to increase our oxygen intake, which speeds up our heart rate and releases a rush of blood throughout our bodies. As a result, we gain more energy to help get us through our days.
2. Beautify your hair and skin- I love natural beauty secrets, so I’m going to share this one with you: Cold water is excellent for maintaining healthy skin and beautiful hair. Hot water dries our skin out and strips our skin of its healthy natural oils. Cold water will firm your cuticles and pores and will close up your pores so that dirt cannot get in. Never shower with hot water. Keep the water warm or preferably cold, which will keep hair looking smooth, shiny, and healthy. The cold water will flatten follicles and increase their ability to grip the scalp.
3. Boost your immunity- A cold shower is a remedy for problems of the skin and heart. The cold water will improve circulation and help the arteries pump blood, which helps our heart health. There are other reported health benefits, like lowering blood pressure, clearing up clogged arteries, and improving the immune system.
4. Lose some weight- Cold showers burn fat, the bad kind. There are two types of fat: white fat and brown fat. White fat is what I’m referring to as the “bad kind.” It’s fat that so many of carry around on our waist, thighs, neck, and lower back and that’s usually a struggle to lose. We accumulate white fat when we consume unnecessary calories that our bodies don’t need to function and don’t burn enough of these calories off for energy. Brown fat is the “good fat” and generates heat to keep us warm. When taking a cold shower, the brown fat will burn calories to keep us warm. According to Scandinavian research, exposing our bodies to cold temperatures increases our metabolic rate of brown fat by fifteen fold, thus aiding us with weight loss.
5. Boost your post-workout recovery time- Perhaps you’ve seen athletes taking ice water baths before. It looks god awful, but there’s a reason these athletes are enduring the cold water. There’s no need to be as extreme as to take an ice water bath, but the cold water will reduce soreness after a workout.
6. Get happy- Cold showers create an anti-depression effect when the impact of the cold receptors of the skin send electrical impulses from the nerve endings to the brain. The cold water not only improved mood, but also helps us relax and hardens us to stress.