I love me some fluffy, warm pita, but you don’t actually need to include it to enjoy this recipe if you’d prefer to leave it out. The stars of this dish are the vegetables: roasted harissa cauliflower and honey carrots, crispy chickpeas, plus fresh, cooling radishes and pea shoots. Paired with hummus, yogurt, and (optional) feta cheese and you have yourself a tasty meal filled with protein and veggies. Serve in a bowl, with whole grains or with warmed pita or naan. Don’t overcook the pita like I did in the photo above. Whoops.
-1 can chickpeas, drained, rinsed & dried
-1 head cauliflower, chopped into florets
-2 carrots, thinly sliced into 1/4 inch pieces
-3 radishes, thinly sliced
-4 handfuls pea shoots
-1 lemon, quartered
-1 tablespoon garlic powder
-2-4 tablespoons harissa paste
-2 tablespoons honey
-feta cheese (try sheep’s milk feta! It’s easier to digest)
-1 cup Greek yogurt
-Hummus (homemade or store-bought)
-4 Pita or naan
*Note — For this recipe, it is helpful if you have two sheet pans, but not necessary. If you have sheets pans of different sizes, you can use the smaller one for the chickpeas and the larger one for the vegetables. If you only have one sheet pan, just roast the chickpeas first then go on to roast the vegetables.
- Heat stove to 400 F. Line two sheet pans in foil. Wash and prep your vegetables. In a small bowl, combine garlic powder, a squirt of harissa paste, about 1/4 cup olive oil, salt, and pepper. In a large bowl, combine the rinsed chickpeas and half the seasoning from the smaller bowl. Toss to coat the chickpeas thoroughly. Transfer the chickpeas to a sheet pan. Roast 40 minutes, shaking the pan halfway through.
- While the chickpeas cook, add the cauliflower to the large bowl with the remaining seasoning. Toss to coat, adding more flavoring or oil as necessary, then place on one side of the other sheet pan in an even layer.
- Add the carrots to the large bowl. In the smaller bowl, whisk together olive oil and honey. Add to the bowl of carrots and toss to combine, scraping up any leftover seasoning. Lay the carrots out in an even layer on the sheet pan next to the cauliflower. Once the chickpeas have cooked for 10 minutes, add the cauliflower and carrots to the oven and cook for 25-30 minutes, stirringly every 10 minutes. The vegetables should be tender and golden.
- While the food cooks, in another small bowl, combine the yogurt with garlic powder, chopped parsley, salt, and pepper. Drizzle olive oil on top.
- Remove the chickpeas and vegetables from the oven and set aside to cool. Sprinkle your pita with a few drops of water and add to the oven for 3 minutes.
- Spread hummus and yogurt on your pita, then top with the chickpeas and vegetables, radish, pea shoots, and feta. Drizzle with olive oil and divide the quartered lemons among the plates. Enjoy!